Thursday, December 24, 2009

Week 34

We had another good prenatal appointment on Monday. My blood pressure and heart rate are still good. Neither have really gone up since getting pregnant. My weight is up, but since we're in the last stretch and my body is expected to pack on more fluids, I'm not concerned. My doctor said my weight was good, so that's another reason to not worry. My blood count also came back good, so no anemia. Our next appointment is in 2 weeks and I'll be tested for Group B strep.

Group B streptococcus is a bacteria type that 10-30% of women carry in their vaginal or rectal area. It's usually harmless to adults, but since it can reside in the birth canal and it can be harmful to newborns, doctors will test for the bacteria as the due date nears. If a woman does have the bacteria, she will be treated for it during labor. If she is treated before, the bacteria could come back by the time the baby is born, essentially nullifying the treatment.

In four weeks, my doctor will do an ultrasound to verify Adam's position, check the amniotic fluid level and to estimate his size. Should I open things up for guessing his birth date and weight now or after that appointment?

We are doing more and more to get things ready for Adam. Matt has finished washing all of Adam's clothes and bedding and I've folded them and put them away in bags until the dresser arrives. We're ordering/buying all the essentials that we hadn't yet ordered or bought. Matt and I are both slowly getting the house in order. Today, Matt finished installing the fan in Adam's room.


Matt (aka Daddy) at 33 weeks, installing the fan in Adam's room

In October, Carole sent Adam two blankets she hand made. I finally got around to photographing them. They are beautiful and soft. The are also the only blankets that Adam has that are not receiving blankets, so I'm sure they will get a lot of use!


Knitted blanket, gift from Carole

Crocheted blanket, gift from Carole

Yesterday, we received a package from Mela and Greg. They sent Adam an adorable bib with a matching burp cloth. Thank you M & G!

Bib and burp cloth, gift from Melizza and Greg

One of our biggest obstacles in getting and keeping the house clean is our cat. I've been able to work on his whining since I've been off of work, but we have not figured out a way to keep him from sticking his paws in his wet cat food and then flicking it onto the walls, counters, table, etc. As we near the due date, Neo seems to be getting worse with his food. At first it was just disgusting and annoying, but now, I feel defeated. How are we supposed to keep a clean environment for our son when the cat does this to our kitchen?

Matt has had to scrub the walls since it's getting harder for me to bend down to scrub off the kitchen walls and doors. We've tried different sized bowls, hoping to discourage him from sticking his paws in his food (which he also drags into the livingroom). Starting today, we are going to try to feed him off a plate to see if that makes difference. We would love to feed him dry food, but his vet has him on wet food only. Eating dry food makes him more likely to develop crystals in his bladder. Last year, he had to have surgery to have them removed and he's been on wet food ever since. He's only been a nightmare with it since I got pregnant. I'm thinking of using EFT on him to see if that will help. Otherwise, I'm out of ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment