Friday, October 23, 2009

Week 25

We are in the middle of week 25. It's hard to believe that we are already 6 months along. At the same time, it seems like the big day is forever away. As we creep closer to the due date, I keep expecting to get nervous about labor. So far, ignorance has me incapable of getting anxious.

We have a 1-day birthing class on Saturday, November 21. It's an all day class that includes a tour of the hospital's labor and delivery area. I'm excited to find out where we will be having this little one. The hospital also offers a class on caring for a newborn. Matt and I would like to take the class just to do all we can to prepare for bringing home our baby.

Our next appointment is on Monday. I'll be taking the 1-hour glucose test during the appointment. I'm hoping that it doesn't make me sick. After this appointment, we'll be going to the OB every two weeks until the baby is born. We're in the last stretch now!

Yesterday, I got the H1N1 vaccine. I was so mad Wednesday when I found out that they'd given out the shots on Tuesday, but never announced it on the health department website. The website that claims to have the latest information. I'd called them last Friday to find out when and where the shot would be available. They told me that they didn't know and said that I should call back in the middle of the following week. Matt happened to read an article about the shot being given out (unannounced) on Tuesday.

I called the health department and found out that the vaccine would be available again on Thursday (yesterday). So, I made sure to get to Tucson Electric Park 10 minutes before the shot clinic was scheduled to start. The line was insane!

Here is an image of the park and I've marked the length of the line that I had to wait in to get the shot.


It took an hour and a half of waiting in the sun before I could get the shot. The annoying thing was that when I was leaving (at 1130a), the line was half the length and I heard workers going down the line asking if anyone was pregnant so that they could skip ahead. Pregnant women and caretakers of infants are given priority for the injection. Everyone else is only given the mist with the live virus.

After all the discomfort, I was incredibly lucky. They were out of the injection by noon--thirty minutes after I'd gotten mine. If I'd waited until after work, I would have missed my chance. I'm hoping the county gets another shipment for next week. I don't like to think about the pregnant women who were not so lucky.

No comments:

Post a Comment