Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Quad Screen Results and Other Topics

Our appointment yesterday went well. The results from the quad screen came back negative which is great news. The results from the toxoplasmosis came back negative. Good news is our baby has not been exposed. On the other hand, that means I don't have antibodies. I'll have to continue to be careful around cats, not touch raw meat and Matt will continue primary laundry duty.

Listening to our son's heartbeat is always a welcome confirmation that he is doing okay. We have to wait 4 weeks until our next appointment and I will try very hard not to cave and buy a doppler. Pregnancy is a chance for me to really give up worries and practice a relaxed mind. It helps to know that if I get upset, baby gets upset, so getting upset is no longer an option.

At our next appointment, I'll be taking the glucose test. The test is to measure how well your body is processing sugar. It is not uncommon for women to get gestational diabetes, so this is a test that all women take during pregnancy. They give you a very sugary drink, have you wait an hour then test your blood sugar. The first test has a high false positive rate for diabetes, so if you don't pass the first test, they reschedule you for second test. For the second test, they give you an even more concentrated sugary drink and have you wait 3 hours before retesting your blood sugar. This second test is more definitive and will dictate what adjustments you'll need to make to manage your nutritional health to the end of the pregnancy. My only concern is to not vomit when I have to drink the solution at the next appointment. Other than that, I'm looking forward to a scheduled 1 hour of reading in the OB's office.

In 7 weeks, we go in for another anatomical ultrasound. Our boy is going to be huge by then! So far, I've gained 7 pounds in this pregnancy. I haven't had any specific cravings, but I need to be more mindful about eating greens and exercising. I need to start getting up early so that I can exercise every morning. It's too hard for me to exercise in the evenings when I'm exhausted from work and still have to get dinner done. Most of the time, I just want to go directly to bed.

As for the registry, Matt and I have made some progress. We've been cross-referencing every single item for necessity, quality, safety and parent ratings. My goal is to not buy anything that is not necessary. It's not a cost thing, it's a clutter thing.

We still need to register for birthing classes, interview pediatricians, make our birthing plan, buy baby furniture and decide what the heck to do about the carpet. At the very least we need to get the carpet cleaned. The cat has gotten bad about dragging wet food around the house and I don't think there is a square inch of living room where he has not either puked or peed. At this point, Matt and I have no intention of letting the baby be on the floor in the living room.

2 comments:

  1. I love hearin' the good news.. :) there is so much at pregnancy i never ever ever knew haha.. i'm just stunned!!

    anyway about the carpet why don't you just replace it instead of cleaning.. it might put your mind at rest with the whole cat/dirtiness issue... personally idk about hardwood floors, when i was little carpet was the best to play on -just keep that in mind ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm learning a lot about pregnancy, too! Before, I thought the rules were just don't drink, smoke or do Karate.

    With hard floors, we would get rugs and soft things that would be comfortable for the baby. They also make these cool padded rubber mats you can put on the floor. They fit together like puzzle pieces.

    ReplyDelete