Friday, August 14, 2009

Early Influences

I started reading to our baby last week, just a few poems from Winnie the Pooh. It was a book that was given to me years ago and one in which I silenced my "I hate kid stuff, why did you give this to me?" Now that I've been too tired or busy to get to Barnes and Noble, I'm grateful to have at least one kiddie book in the house. My shopping list of kids books is growing and I'll need to get to the book store soon.

Meanwhile, the baby and I are reading Cranford by Elizabeth Gaskell. It's important to me to expose the baby to classic literature (along with children's literature). That said, I'm not going to be reading Dante's Inferno to him/her. Matt and I will have to find good, light, literature for developing the baby's brain and creative/abstract capacity. Reading to the baby is also a way for her/him to get familiar with our voices.

Not just our voices. I love rock music, but I also don't want to provide cacophony, so I'm opting for the happiest rock music ever made: Huey Lewis and the News.

We've also been talking to our baby more and more. I've gotten in the habit of announcing what we are doing throughout the day, "We're getting up now. We're going to work. Your dad is driving. We're going to lunch. It's so hot out here; We're leaving work. Yay! " I just hope our little one is not thinking, "Shut it Mom, trying to relax here!"

1 comment:

  1. You are too cute! That little one is so blessed already to have you and Matt. :)

    ReplyDelete