Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Maternity Wear

We are about to enter the 2nd trimester and I am starting to feel relieved and I'm still super excited. My nausea and appetite are already improving. This past Sunday I went out to buy maternity pants. My jeans were starting to fit a little snug around my waist, so it was time.

I was hoping to minimize my exposure the heat by going to J.C. Penny off I-19, but they have an embarrassingly small selection of maternity clothes. Why bother with 1 rack of pants in 2 different styles (slacks and jeans), for a grand total of 4 different types of pants. Not to mention, all the pants were 6 sizes larger than my base size. Ugh.

The high was 108 that day, but still, I needed pants to accommodate my forming bump. I ended up at the Tucson Mall, knowing that Old Navy also has my everyday jeans in maternity wear. Well, not quite. They have them online, but the store has an even smaller maternity section than JCP. I never knew that the mother's-to-be group was so under-supported. Bad stores!

A pair of jeans and a pair of casual, army green pants later, I was starting to get shaky. I now get shaky and on the verge of tears when I'm hungry. Forget stomach grumbling or feeling hungry, we move right on to crisis mode. Luckily, I was in the mall. I stopped in at Red Robin and ordered a cheeseburger and fries, water and a coke. Not the healthiest lunch I know, but eating has been a chore since about week 9. I'm pretty much thrilled if I can force any type of food into my stomach. The soda, a rare thing, was to get my blood sugar up fast. Again, it's not the ideal method, but I really was in about to start crying phase.

I ate my whole lunch. What? Way awesome. I didn't have that zone out that I used to do when I was trying to just get through the meal. Could it be that my food aversion had gone on vacation? I think so. I haven't had trouble eating (excepting the hot cocoa foul-up this week from Starbucks. Salty ass hot chocolate is no way to win customers.) since sometime before this meal. Yay! Time to recover my vegetable intake.

After lunch, I called Matt to let him know that I was doing fine and that I'd decided to hit another store before leaving. Motherhood Maternity--my new favorite store, even if it is at the mall! What a blessing it was. I found jeans and a great pair of slacks. Now, I know where to go when it's time for preggy undies, a belly band and dressy wear for later in the pregnancy.

I give the store an A++ for the smell. For a pregnant woman, smell is important, because we can detect scents from miles away. I was already sensitive to smell and pregnancy has only magnified the sense.

I wore my maternity jeans to work on Monday for the first time. I'm beginning to show and actually, the pants make it even more noticeable. It will soon be time to tell work, if they hadn't already been spying on my stomach. Most important, I was comfortable in my new jeans.

No comments:

Post a Comment