Friday, July 24, 2009

Food and Nutrition

I finally found and simplified a daily nutrition guide for myself. Because I've been repulsed by cooked vegetables, I'd begun to worry that my veggie intake has dropped too dramatically since pregnancy. I'm having no problems eating fruit, except for the occasional tomato and avocado. Here is my simplified (slightly reduced to what I can actually tolerate) guideline:

Meat, Fish, Poultry and Egg Group

servings

size

food

3

3 oz

fish

poultry

lean meat

eggs

beans

lentils

seeds

nuts

nut butter

Dairy Group

servings

size

food

4

1 cup

milk

1 oz

cheese

1 cup

yogurt

1 1/2 cup

cottage cheese

Bread, Cereal, Dried Beans, Peas and Legumes Group

servings

size

food

6-11

1 slice

bread

1/4 cup

cooked beans

3/4 cup

dry cereal

1/2 cup

cooked cereal

Vegetable and Fruit Group (Vitamin C)

servings

size

food

2

1/2 cup

broccoli

brussel sprouts

cauliflower

collard greens

potato

spinach

cantaloupe

honeydew

lemon

orange

strawberry

watermelon

Vegetable and Fruit Group (Beta Carotene)

servings

size

food

2

1/2 cup

broccoli

cabbage

carrots

chard

sweet potatoes

spinach

apricots

cantaloupe

nectarine

peach

watermelon

pumpkin

winter squash


2 comments:

  1. I think you need to be careful with fish, but you probably know that already :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea. There are two extremes, some that say that you need fish and others who are concerned about the metals and other pollutants in the fish. The consensus seems to be one serving of fish a week is acceptable and my prenatal vitamins have DHA to make up for not eating more fish. I'm not having any raw sushi, of course. Actually, the hardest part is avoid sandwich meats, because I used to eat a sandwich everyday for lunch. ugh.

    ReplyDelete